Monday, 26 December 2016

2016: The Scale Model Hangar review of the year.


Hello! 

As 2016 draws to its end I would like to sit back and mull over the past year and see what it and I brought to my hobby. It has been eventful! 

This blog has taken off and has a regular following, my Facebook hub has become a great place to see and marvel at the work of scale model artists from around the world and I renovated my workshop. Now aptly known as The Scale Model Hangar! 

The workshop was the biggest project of the year. Exactly one year today the terrible flooding that hit the UK took its toll on my modelling space. In this instance flooding the ground all around the base of the workshop which is located in the woodland garden. It was not until my summer leave this year that I had time to carry out repairs and renovations. I could not have done this without the help of my family and friends who took time off work and brought tools, expertise and great humour to a hard going but excellent couple of days that helped me restore my workshop to good health once again. 

To all of you, THANK YOU! 

Once again my sanctuary was warm and dry. Here are a few pics of the Hangar sat at the back of the garden that I hope will convey why I love spending time there so much. It really is a most special place.






And so, I was able to get back to the bench and start anew! This year saw me improve my figure painting, my airbrush control and I also I was able to try out some new technique's! I hope to continue improving and build better, more realistic looking models. I also want to publish better quality work in progress articles, this takes time and planning so I will get a good photo-setup sorted. I already have many projects planned for the coming year and I want to share them with you, so stick around OK? 

Looking back upon 2016, here are the projects that I completed. A varied mix of subjects as you will see! I hope you enjoy them and if you would like to see more, you can find each article right here on this blog. 


First to see the finish line was this lovely 1/48 Airfix Seafire Mk.F.XVII. A nice straightforward build with aftermarket decals from Freightdog models.



Next up was this wonderful kit that was a gift from my mate Frank. He knew I was dying to get hold of Hasegawa's Bf-109 G-10 in JG 300 markings! Thanks to his great kindness and generosity I was able to realise my dream! 

I titled this piece "The Eagle and the Wolf"




Following on, Tamiya's 1/48 P-47D Bubbletop. This was a nice straight from the box build. I had these markings in a box for years and wanted to emulate the work of a truly inspiring modeller who is sadly no longer with us. 



Feel the Force! After watching The Force Awakens I just had to build some new T-70 X-Wings! These snap together kits from Revell answered the call. Repainted and modified, these were great fun to work on!



Next up, a special one for me. I had wanted to build this particular aircraft for many years and at last I was able to. This 1/48 Accurate Miniatures Fleet Air Arm Avenger was one of the most rewarding builds of the year.




2 BRAVO: Generation Kill diorama. I loved the book, I loved the series. I had to build this! A lot of work but also a lot of fun to do. 






Imperial Sandtrooper: This 1/12 Bandai figure was sheer joy to build and weather! If you have not tried one of these kits then you should! If Bandai did 1/48 aircraft, they would the competition out of business! 



More figure modelling! This time a 120mm resin sculpt of a US Navy SEAL "American Sniper" I am proud of this one as I worked hard to develop and improve my figure painting skills.



Too BIG and Too HEAVY! Monogram's 1/48 P-47N-1-RE Thunderbolt. This is a kit I built at the beginning of my modelling career, many years ago! The first attempt did not go so well! So this is my second attempt at this stunning warbird and this time I am much happier with the result!



Callsign Warrior: 1/35 USMC AH-1W COBRA

I love this one! I enjoyed this so much! MRC kit, Two Bobs decals, crew figures AM and scatched, plus a little modding here and there! This one put a huge smile on my face!




Academy 1/48 Mig-21. My weathering experiment! I learned a lot that I can carry through to my future builds.




So there you go! Eleven build this year! A great new workspace and lots of fun!

Thanks to all of my model building friends for sharing this hobby with me!

Special thanks to Eric and Frank who share this journey with me and always have my back. 

I hope 2017 brings all of us good health, peace, love and happiness. And of course more models!

Take care and Happy Modelling! 

Darren.